Decluttering my life.

Hi All!

While I am in bed recovering from a terrible throat infection, I decided to write about my favourite topic, decluttering and getting rid of things that at the end of the day, we don´t need.

It`s been two years since I moved to a flat on my own, no more share houses, FINALLY!!
My flat is pretty big, but I never felt that I had to fill it with a lot of furniture and decorations, when I moved in, I expended almost two months with just a mattress and a "table" I made with cardboard (the kitchen and the bathroom were already furnished).
I was proud of my little home, but my friends and family differed.

They started given me a lot of furniture and stuff. I was really grateful for that, it saved me a lot of money, but I reached a point that I was not happy with my flat.
It was then, that coming out of nowhere, I started watching videos of minimalism.
I am way far from being a minimalist myself, but I do enjoy and share the values of the "movement".

I started getting rid of stuff that I didn´t have any emotional attached with, easy job. But after that I got really into that feeling of freedom and coudn´t stop.

These are some pictures of some bags I have taken to the charity shop lately.




Those bags are mostly clothes, and small items that I could donate to charity, other bits went straight to the bin, no way I could recycled them.
Obviously the furniture remain in the flat, but if I have the chance I will get rid of some pieces, including the TV and microwave. I barely use them and nowadays they are so easy to replace!

One of the most difficult things to donate were the presents/gifts. I always feel I am just rude giving them away. I am still working on that, but so far I am really proud of myself, I discarded quite a few pieces that I never used, or only used when the person that gave them to me was around.

Other new "issue" that I noticed when I started decluttering, is the urge to posses more good quality things, and less rubbish items. That's when I tackled my jewellery collection.




All gone, most of them I haven´t used them in ages, so why stick to them?
This happened this summer, since them I was focused on build a nice silver collection of pieces that I can use everyday, and I am quite happy with the results so far.

But that doesn't only include jewelry, handbags are one of my biggest debilities. I am not going to tell you how many I had, and how many I still have (is quite embarrassed), but I was brave enough to donate some of them that are not my style any more, or I haven´t used in a long time.

Little by little I am reaching a point that I am happy, with my belongings and the way I use them.
See those pictures below for example.





The before and after, do you think I am missing any of the things I discarded? Not at all.

This is still a work in progress of course, I really need to go deeper in the fact that I can live with just a few items. 
In a future post I will tell you about the decluttering we went trough in my family's house this summer.

Thanks for reading! ❤❤❤

Comments